Thursday, March 12, 2009

Heard Museum



This  detail of a contemporary art fence greeted us upon entering the museum.  Created in 2004 by Jojota and Lonewolf of the Santa Clara Tewa it encourages visitors to leave stereotyped preconceptions behind...entering a world blending past and present.

This Acoma storage jar reminded me of the one my Mother's Indian friends had given her.  She would tell me that she would give it to me, but I "would probably just give it to a museum."

This was the largest and best displays of kachina dolls I have ever seen.  These traditional carved dolls represent spirits and are given to little girls.  I had the privilege of receiving mine at a ceremony at Sky Village.  It is so old that the feathers are now gone and it is very faded, but it is one of my greatest treasures.  

These  exquisite seed pots were created from 1978 to 2007 by Navajo artists, all from the talented Pechlakai family.  

I was almost sorry to learn that this large-scale installation was created directly on the gallery wall. I hope that nothing ever happens to this precious wall with the creation by Navajo artist, Tony Abeyta. It seems impossible  that this stunning piece was created with the humble materials of an existing wall,  India ink and charcoal.
  
An unknown artist of the Chukchi people in Siberia carved this piece.  It is reminiscent of the Asian  elephant tusk carvings, though this is made of walrus ivory.  It is always so amazing to think that such delicacy could come from such a harsh environment.   

1 comment:

Laura in Paris said...

THank you for this guided tour of the museum!