Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Soloist


Growing up in Los Angeles I am very familiar with the tunnel where The Soloist was first discovered by the newspaperman, Steve Lopez.   It is no wonder that even with two strings on his violin he was impressing all with his talent and musicality.  After all, Nathanial Ayers was classically trained at Juilliard School.  

The tunnel was in skid row.   When I was a little girl skid row was in the same place it is now.  My Mother would warn me never to get off the bus there.  It was then and still is no place for a little girl. But, indeed, there are homeless little girls and boys  who don't have the choice I had.   The homeless, the mentally ill,  the addicted and the disadvantaged are all thrown in together in an unfortunate situation because that is where the services and missions are.  And, in the midst of it all this melee one can hear music of Nathanial Ayers.

The friendship of the newspaperman and the musician explores that simple act of kindness are sometimes hopeful and sometimes disappointing.   Through it all, this book shows that music is a conduit from one soul to another. 

P.S.  Those are my Grandmother's eye glasses in the photograph.  I still wear them.