Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Doubt


I first saw the stage play DOUBT at the West Coast Premiere at the Pasadena Playhouse in 2005. To say it was a riveting experience would be an understatement.  

And, now the movie comes out to such acclaim that every major cast member is being cited for exceptional acting.   And, wow, what a plot!  

Is the super strict headmistress really so mean?  Did she refuse to let a child be unprotected to the 
at the expense of her own integrity?  I doubt it.

Does the priest really care so much for the children in his charge?  Does the bacchanalian feast with other men of the church belie that?  It makes me doubt.

And, was the sweetly naive nun thinking of the children when she questioned actions without any evidence?  She seems so close to God  that it feels bad to doubt her.  

I need to hear a sermon on "doubt" to help me sort out all of this.

No comments: