Saturday, July 4, 2009

VASA

A book about the artist Vasa (Velizar) Mihich has just been published and I am the lucky recipient of an autographed copy. Click here to learn even more about the artist.

The abstract expressionistic movement lured him to the United States, but being open to the new technologies led him to working in a minimalist way. After having experienced the chaos of the World War II in his native Yugoslavia he felt "like a fish in water when coming to Los Angeles."

Passionately desiring order, Vasa creates paintings and scultpure based on a grid. Originally his work was gestural, but at the turn of the century he turned to the newly-introduced computers to generate his images.

In America, Vasa found himself and also his expression of beauty. His images and sculptures are basic shapes, the surfaces are sharp and smooth...seducing the viewer with luxury.

1 comment:

Laura in Paris said...

I have to see this book next time I come to see you. I love what I see in your pics so I'd love to see more of this artist.